Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When "house hunting" you should definately meet the neighbors

Last Sunday I held an open house in Mount Pleasant, Washington DcC. I finished setting up early,so I introduced myself to the neighbors. The neighbors were very nice and appreciated my efforts to sell a home in their community.

One of the people who I talked to is the president of the community's home owner's association. We had a great conversation and I learned so much about the community's history, which I shared with people who visited my open house. For example,I learned that even though the unit I am selling doesn't currently have a washer/dryer in it,that the home owner's association just approved owners' installing washer/dryer units. This was great information to share with buyers who would have ruled the unit out because one of 'their needs' was private laundry and not a community laundry room. I also learned that the association just changed property management companies. Part of a home buyer's due diligence should be finding out as much information as possible about the homes they are searching,the community and the property management company (if there is one)managing the property. There are some great property management companies and some who are not so much.

So next time you visit a home,make a point of saying hi to people you see walking the neighborhood and strike up conversations with them. They love meeting the new potential neighbors and are happy to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment